Hillsborough County Watering Days
Hillsborough County has specific laws centered around irrigation water usage. The days watering is allowed is designated by the water source; potable versus reclaimed.
As of January 4, 2021 Hillsborough County amended watering hours for most properties south of the Alafia River. A temporary one day a week and morning irrigation allowance is in effect until Dec. 31, 2022,
Temporary South County Watering Days
As of January 4, 2021 South Hillsborough County is under new temporary watering days. Most properties south of the Alafia River are subject to a one day a week amended morning irrigation hours until Dec. 31, 2023.
These restrictions apply to most water sources, including private wells, ponds, or lakes used as alternate irrigation supply.
Hillsborough County Reclaimed Watering Schedule
This applies to residents who live in Hillsborough and have a reclaimed water hook up for the the irrigation of their lawns.
Wasting Water is Prohibited
- Do not allow water to flow from an unattended hose.
Hand watering a lawn on an otherwise restricted day or more than once a day, except when used for spot treatment or other practices specified in the Hillsborough County Water Conservation Ordinance or F.A.C. 40D-21 and 40D-22
- Hosing down a surface, like a driveway or structure, if it can be cleaned with a blower, broom or other dry methods.
- Allowing water to flow from a broken sprinkler head, faucet or component.
WATERING DAYS EXEMPTIONS
Watering During New Lawn or Plant Establishment Period
- Hand watering of plant material (not lawns or grass) may be done on any day at any time.
- 60 days is the allotted time for new lawn establishment period.
- A lawn may be watered any day of the week for the first 30 days.
- From days 31-60, lawns or plants may be watered 3 days per week, during authorized hours and on allocated watering days. Even addresses only on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, Odd addresses only on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
- Watering must be isolated to new plants or lawn areas.
- Establishment period watering exemption begins on day of installation.
- If watering with an irrigation zone, the entire zone may be used if at least 50% of its watering area goes to the new plant material.
- Zones with less than 50% new plant material must be hand watered or watered with a more targeted means of supplemental irrigation like a garden hose sprinkler.
Water For Use In Chemical Applications
- Irrigation for the purpose of watering-in fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides must be done during allowable watering days and times.
- If a certified professional applicator has posted a temporary sign containing the date of application and the date(s) of needed watering-in activity, watering may occur on any day (within 48 hours of the time of chemical application) during allowable hours.
Using Water For Irrigation Testing or Repair
- Irrigation testing may be done on any day and time. This includes restricted days and hours.
- Testing the irrigation system may be done 1 time per week.
- Irrigation tests must not exceed 10 minutes per run.
- A technician must be on the property administering the test.